Monday, January 31, 2011

Fantasy Football and Funny Pasttimes

(I know, I myself can’t believe I’m doing a blogpost on this)

     Matt has a new obsession. Now, if you’re thinking, ‘Obsession, that’s a pretty strong word.” I would respond by saying, ‘In this case, it’s not strong enough.’

     Peace Corps can be a strange, strange world where you find yourself participating in, talking about, thinking about certain things that in any other circumstance you would never consider.


     And for Matt, I think Fantasy Football is one of them. In September last year, a bunch of the male Jamaica PCVs decided to start a Fantasy Football league to further their male bonding, and because they’re a bunch of American men living in a foreign country, with relatively easy access to the internet. Since then, Matt has become OBSESSED -this isn’t just my opinion, but that of the greater Jamaican PC community. He has spent countless hours on our 2G modem ‘researching’ -as he puts it, stressing out every Sunday, and talking trash via text messages through our PCV CUG.

     However, this is not the reason I decided to write this blog. The reason I decided to write this blog is because my husband, who spent the ten years prior to PC living in the Alaskan bush, who has maybe seen three Superbowls in the last 20 years, who at the start of the season was made fun of for constantly pronouncing the players names wrong, WON this year’s league (a league that has FF veterans and football junkies). That’s right, to the amazement of many, somehow Matt pulled it off.

     And after he pulled it off, for two weeks I had to hear about how nobody bought him a beer, or even called to congratulate him. So, even though over the past 5 months his addiction drove me crazy, and even though I’m not even a part of the stupid league, here it is:

Congratulations Matt on your win! It’s nice to see all that hard work (or luck :)), stress, and frustrations weren’t a complete waste of time…. can we get back to our lives now?

4 comments:

  1. But I kick his butt in the the other league!!!!! ..... and did Matt call me?????

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easily your best post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had not witnessed Matt's "obsession" first hand while I was there in Nov, I would have had a hard time beleiving this post also. Way to go Matt! :) mom

    ReplyDelete