Thursday, March 24, 2011

Government-Issued Friends

Last Friday, March 18 marked our one year in Jamaica. As I’m sure all PCVs would say, it’s been quite a journey thus far, and it truly is amazing to think back to only a year ago when we were packing our bags.

 As it turns out, most PCVs struggle the most around their one-year mark, and although we’ve definitely had our frustrations and extremely stressful and upsetting moments, we’re currently doing pretty well. We’re looking forward to the road ahead, as we develop more of a rhythm and understanding the longer we are here.

To recognize our accomplishment, g81 (our group) met up last weekend to celebrate – plus it’s always nice to have a reason to get together and reconnect.

Us PCVs often joke about the relationships we have with one another, and this strange reality that has brought us all together. We sometimes refer to each other as government-issued friends, and Lord knows we are a motley crew –people from all over the States, different age groups, walks of life, personalities, etc. It’s quite possible that many of us would never speak with each other in any other circumstance. But here, on planet PCJ, we’re like family. We laugh together, cry together, bitch together, play together, work together. We’re each other’s support system and many times the lifeline that carries each other through when someone’s ready to give up. We’re all in this together, and we do what we can to be there for each other.

Now I’ll be the first to say that Uncle Sam doesn’t always get things right. But obviously sometimes he does, as I can’t complain one bit about my government-issued friends, and I am so grateful that they are here to accompany me on this journey.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to meet you all when I arrive with Group 82 and I hope that I come to love my government-issued friends in the same way! So excited!

    ReplyDelete