Thursday, September 29, 2011

Family Matters

I (Julie) teach grades 7-9 at the Jr. High school here in Accompong. The two classes I teach are computer class and Health and Family Life Education (HFLE). In HFLE last year, for part of a school project, I required each student to do a very small presentation about themselves at the beginning of each class i.e. one student each time class met. For part of their presentation, they needed to bring in a “family” picture to present to the class. Knowing that most students wouldn’t have access to any photos, and also knowing that JACOM had a photo printer I could use, and also knowing that it would be nice for each student to have at least one ‘family’ photo to call their own, I agreed to come to their home sometime before their project was due to take a picture of them with someone else in their family. I printed the picture and brought it to class, and if they successfully completed their presentation, they would get to keep the picture. (This was also really helpful for me to connect with their parents/guardians, especially after first coming to site.)

I thought I might share some of these pictures with you:


p.s. It still amazes me how much some family members resemble one another here.

No comments:

Post a Comment